If your employer stops trading

Protect your long service entitlement

If your employer stops trading or goes broke you should:

1. Ask for an End Notice to be lodged

Ask your employer to lodge an End Notice for you that includes your last day of work. Or if you prefer call the Helpline on 13 14 41 and ask for assistance.

2. Check your long service record online

You can check your long service record or change your contact details online at any time. For further details call the Helpline on 13 14 41.

3. Check your Annual Statement for missing service

Employers that go out of business sometimes fail to lodge a final End Notice for their workers. This means you could miss out on having periods of employment recorded.

Always check your Annual Statement. If periods of employment on building and construction work are not shown on your statement, follow the instructions that are provided with the statement.

4. Check with us before accepting a payment for long service from a liquidator

If you are offered a long service entitlement as part of a termination payment by a liquidator (the person assisting in the winding up of an employers business) we recommend you first check with us before accepting this payment.

Sometimes payments offered by liquidators are less than your full entitlement.

Back to top