The early years

When the scheme commenced in 1975, employers were required to lodge monthly returns and to pay contributions to the scheme based on the ordinary pay of their employees.

This changed in 1986.  Employers no longer had to pay contributions or report monthly.  Yearly Certificates of Service were introduced and the method of funding changed to a levy payable on all building and construction work over a specified value undertaken in NSW.

This greatly reduced the paperwork for employers and this method of reporting service for employees continued until 2007 when annual Employer Returns and online services became available.

Now almost 80% of our employers lodge service online.  The remaining 20% complete paper returns which are sent to them by the Corporation.

Self employed workers are able to record service by lodging annual certificates of service which must be verified by a registered tax agent.  An online facility for tax agents to complete these certificates became available in early 2012.

Back to top